Josh's Adventures

Friday, October 14, 2005

Leg surgery

So we headed into Halifax on Monday, Oct. 10th. I had a pre-op appointment at 2, they said it would be about 2 or 3 hours, it only took about 30 minutes. I had an x-ray and got all the information and then we headed to the Holiday Inn. I went swimming in the afternoon and then we went to Smitty's for supper, where I got to pig out on pancakes and eggs. Then we went for a little drive and went back to the hotel so I could go swimming again.

We got up at 5 Tues. morning and got ready to go to the hospital. I got there at 6:30, got my vitals done and got in one of those wonderful Johnny shirts, LOL. At about 7:45 they came and got us to take us to the OR waiting room. We sat there for about 15 mins talking to the Drs. and nurses. When they took me to the OR they gave me laughing gas while they tried to get an IV in my hand, that didn't work, they had to put it in my arm.

The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room and my Mom came down to sit with me. I stayed there for about an hour, most of which I slept through. Then they took me back up to my room on 5 East. This is where I first got to meet my room-mate, Cody. He also has Spina Bifida and has been in the hospital since June.

I was pretty sleepy all day, I had a bit of a nap in the afternoon. That night my Mom took me out in the wheelchair, we went down to the gift shop. That night the nurses woke me up every 4 hours to give me Tylenol, what a pain, not my leg, them waking me up! The next morning I had to have an x-ray, after that I went to the 7th floor to see the Super Dogs. There were 4 of them there to visit us kids. After lunch I had to go to physio to learn to walk with crutches, then I got to come home.

So now I'm home and stuck in a cast for the next 5 weeks. My foot keeps swelling up so my parents make me stay on the couch with my leg on pillows. I get to get up and do homework every couple of hours, sounds like fun eh?

When they take the cast off they hope my foot will be better than it was, but they didn't promise anything.

But it's not all bad, my parents are letting my sister and I get a new kitten. We might get it on Sunday, her name is Keisha. She looks a lot like a kitty we had years ago named Fluffy. He went out one night in a storm and didn't come back.

Anyway, let's see if we can get this to post and then upload some pictures from my vacation in the IWK.

5 Comments:

  • Pillows, a sofa and maybe a TV? Can't be all bad now is it? :) I am excited for you as you get ready for a new kitten!!

    Do you have all of the supplies or will this take some getting ready for?

    Ms. S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • Hi Josh!

    What a great site! GLad to see that your surgery went well, and that you are feeling well enough to do some of the French Homework for my class!! ;-)

    Get well soon, and see you in a few days!

    Have a good weekend!
    Mr. Snarby

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 PM  

  • Great job on your blog Josh!
    I'm a friend of your moms just stopping in to say Hi!
    I hope you have a smooth recovery :)
    You're quite the kid!

    By Blogger Steph, at 8:34 PM  

  • Awesome blog, Josh! You sure seem to take things in stride. And no, being waken every 4 hours doesn't sound like fun!

    I hope you have a speedy recovery, with a new purring kitten at your side.

    BeckyJo from Washington State

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

  • Yay Josh!!
    Glad to see your back home and living the life of a lounge lizard (some kids get all the breaks)
    I hope that your foot is twenty billion times better than it was (maybe a superhero foot) when the cast comes off.
    I saw pics of Keisha she looks adorable.

    Hugs
    3TinLids (Australia)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home